When Apple announced the iPhone 5s and 5c, it also announced that it’s iWork productivity suite for iOS would become free alongside iPhoto and iMovie. However, this only applied to newly activated iDevices and because of legal reasons, Apple was not allowed to offer the aforementioned apps for free.
However there is a workaround! Simply follow the instructions below.
- First, back up your device.
- Put your device in DFU mode, reset your device then just set up your phone as a new device when asked. Important: Remember to turn off Find My iPhone and your passcode lock before resetting.
- Once the iPhone/iPod/Pad is activated, the dialog will show up asking if you want to download iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie for free.
- Just accept and enter your regular apple ID and password.
- Reset your phone again, but this time restore from your backup and when you go to the app store, your iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie purchases will still be there as previously “purchased”.